Monday 6 November 2017

Sewing retreat countdown - minus 2

Well - I have only gone and bloomin done it!  Err, what was that?  Err no, not the weight loss but today saw another goal achieved.  A year ago I embarked on a savings challenge (I am not great at savings!).  The idea was to save £1 a week - ie £1 in week one, £2 in week 2 etc -for a year.  Once you have done a year you end up with a nice tidy sum - even with low interest rates!  Of course I quickly worked out that the last month would "demand" over £200 in savings and so spread the load out over the year.  Nevertheless, I have actually done it, the money is in the bank - and earmarked for a new wardrobe / spends when I go on my cruise next year!  My next challenge is the 1p per day one that should accumulate to over £600 in a year - I am already doing one for my summer holiday next year but will start one for my summer of spending -sewing workshops, Festival of Quilts etc etc!




So, onto today.  As you will know, my Monday routine is pretty established.  This morning was the Textile Group, where we embarked on possibly the most difficult challenge that I have led them through to date - the lampshades!  Today was all about marking out our fabric, ironing on stabiliser and then embarking on our individual designs - aided by bondaweb and free machine embroidery.  We were helped in our endeavours by a South African treat of "milk tarts" -like a very light custard tart!





I also took the opportunity to clean out my machine ready for the retreat.  Mind you  we were also visited by a member of church, Sue, who was picking up our wreath to lay on Sunday.  She brought Archie - a dog that she was looking after for a friend - who promptly "relieved himself" on Jean's bag -she was not impressed!



Back home and it was time to tackle the pile of ironing.  I am aware that I am ready for the retreat, in terms of sewing projects, but now need to start on getting the practical arrangements sorted!    Mind you I was a tad sleepy so put my head down for 40 winks - and woke up freezing!

Then it was off out again to Slimming World.  As I predicted yesterday, the scales had not moved greatly this week - in fact I put on a sneaky half a pound (scone gate I fear!).  Mind you, I am philosophical about it - I know how hard I have tried and will go away for the holiday and enjoy myself - and get right back on it when I get home!  I certainly couldn't have predicted how far I would come when I started this journey 7 months ago!

Back home, and back to practicalities.  It's time to sort out the sewing bag!  Help!



1 comment: