Thursday 16 November 2017

A new literary challenge

Over a week ago, The Mail on Sunday published a story by Jeffrey Archer that consisted of exactly 100 words.  They then challenged you to write a story in exactly 100 words and submit it.  I am no writer, for sure, but the idea appealed to me so, this morning, I wrote one and submitted it.   As I said, I don't expect it to be one of the top 10 that will be published but I had a go!  My effort is at the end of this blog - you have been warned!



Today was a "stay at home" day ahead of the WI supper club tonight - so it was one of "catching up".  First up was the usual housework and hoover round to square up - closely followed by finishing this mini  sew together bag for a Christmas present (The last step had been hanging around for nearly two weeks - yet only took 30 minutes or so!)





Then it was onto making a start on a present that has been on my "to do list" literally every week since September- well, nothing like working to a deadline is there?







Whilst I was in the Christmas mood, I wrapped 10 advent presents for Wendy - we buy each other small things through the year and then swap them in time for our advent calendars!








It was also day 3 of my attic clear up - so a third ( and fourth!) box was sorted and dispatched!









I even managed to make some soup from my raffle prize of prepared veg - with some "smash and cottage cheese" scones to go with them - should last me a few days!  That was just before ringing the Breast Screening team to rearrange my appointment - and to tell them of a "mis-spelt" address at the top of their letter!


So, all in all, not too shabby a day!  I am gradually ticking things off my list for Christmas - but, as soon as one gets crossed off, another "good idea" pops up!!!  You should see some embroidery patterns that came through today - lush!!




And my story effort - well, be kind!  Here it is:-

The look, the smile, that’s all it took across the crowded room.  Once it had been their secret, a message between lovers.  Now she stood back and observed - her affair was over – he had moved on.


Head held high, she left the party.  He noticed, eventually.  Mentally, he had already moved on, physically there were possessions to retrieve.  As he went outside, his car had gone.  “To be expected” he thought.  Hailing a cab, the drive home was swift.  As he entered the house, the silence was deafening.  The body – incriminating.  He agreed -  the affair was finally over

2 comments:

  1. You and your advent calendars! Certainly keeps you busy :) Sounds like a productive day.
    English O'levels were a long time ago....I have to confess to not getting the last but one sentence :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to leave the reader wondering - had he killed her to get rid of her or someone else?

      Delete