Thursday 7 September 2017

My new BFF arrives!!




There's nothing like a text message to motivate you now is there?  I woke up to a message - your machine will be delivered between 10:26 and 11:26 am!  Cue housework completed in record time and craft room finally sorted - I was having the maximum time possible to play!!  learn how to use the machine!!  As it so happened the DPD driver turned up at just past 10:30am - cue action!




Once unpacked and in prime position, I curbed my enthusiasm to just plug in and go - let's read the manual (yawn yawn).  So I did - and then messed up my bobbin filling!  Once sorted I placed the bobbin as per instructions, threaded the machine as instructed and then set to sewing a heart.  Er -why is the bobbin thread coming through?  My thinking was perhaps I had left too much of a tail on the thread and it was coming through.  So then I tried a couple of tiny birds - they should have been blue but were still the grey bobbin thread.  Bobbin out and replaced - again following the book - and now it worked!  Two tiny but blue birds!  By now the pooches had given up all hope of life today so I decided to walk away and take them for a walk - this had all taken over 2 hours!!

Having mastered some basics I decided to turn to the software next and see if I can load up a design, add some writing and then save it to a USB which can be plugged into the machine.  After a couple of false starts I managed to come up with this - the grey birds in the middle of the designs were the original mistakes.  I was advised to cut up some old pillowcases and use these for my experiments as I learnt -its a good job that I have a pile from Mum!








The machine tells you how many stitches are involved in each design and how long it will take to embroider -just as well, really, since, in-between "learning" I made some weetabix muffins for WI tonight and wrapped the presents for the birthday gifts - even making this iced doughnut for my bra design (really - don't ask!).







My final challenge for the day - and I was beginning to run out of time by now - was to try a multicolour design. I decided to choose a preloaded design in the machine and follow the colours they suggest.  Of course, when each colour is finished, you have to change the thread - lots of practice threading the machine then!

7 comments:

  1. Well you have achieved more than I could have I am sure, and once the teething problems are over there will be no stopping you turning out amazing creations!! Will you ever hand sew again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes - the machine wont fit on my lap and is too noisy to use when the tv is on!

      Delete
  2. Wow, way to go, very impressive for your first play! Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressed, looks interesting.
    You done well for your first try..
    Can only get bette.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers boss! Maybe we can start that Ultimate bag now!

      Delete
  4. Yippee I am so pleased for you my friend bought an embroidery machine and she shared all the starting to know you stuff with me it was so so fun she still has the machine and she still allows me to play with her
    You, once you get more comfortable will find the embroidery machine will stitch just fine on its own with out you watching each stitch
    So you can start it do the dishes come back change thread make your bed change thread etc
    Very different from usual sewing

    ReplyDelete