Tuesday 28 February 2017

Mission accomplished - what next?





Well - the challenge was set - and met!!!!  Last night I finished the mug warmer - and it fits!









Then I finished sewing the binding onto the quilt and, you will be pleased to hear, I am sure, this should be the last that you hear about it!!  I will take it tonight to the sewing class as a "show and tell" (not to mention as an excuse for not doing my homework) but then it will go on the spare bed as planned and, I hope, stay there to be admired by my visitors. 





Next?  Well, as I am sure has come through these blogs, I have been ever so slightly obsessed with this particular project and I now have to give the house and garden (weather permitting) a little more of my time than it has recently enjoyed.  Project wise, however, I want to concentrate on some smaller projects for a while ( the quilt used 250 yards of red sewing cotton alone!!) such as catching up with the Scamblesby mystery quilt blocks, a birthday present and some surprise "stocking fillers".



So - what did I do today?  Well, it was off to the garden centre for a "small" breakfast before a lunchtime showing of "Hidden Figures" at the cinema.  Talk about an inspirational film - wow!  The film told "the true story of a team of African-American women mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the US space program".  That could sound dull but was actually about the struggles and, ultimately, triumph of African American women working in a man's world in the early 60's where, just to go to the toilet, they had to run half a mile each way to use the "colored toilets".  It certainly brought tears to my eyes!  I will also confess to enjoying the maths involved - although it soon left me far behind!

Tonight is our fortnightly sewing class so I am off to make and enjoy some pancakes before I go - it would be wrong not to on Shrove Tuesday now wouldn't it!!

4 comments:

  1. Quilt looks amazing, am sure it will be much admired. I imagine you will indeed want some smaller projects for a while! Like the sound of the film, hope its showing on our flight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quilt looks good, expect there will be lots of praise tonight, don't let your head swell too much lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on your mug warmer, it looks great and very cheerful! Fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful crocheted mug warmer Lynda and your quilt looks truly splendid! Congratulations! Christine x

    ReplyDelete