Thursday 16 February 2017

Grrr - Cars!!




Last summer, when I couldn't drive, my car became a forbidden pleasure.  I just couldn't wait to jump into it and be free again.  Fast forward to today.  I had to take Daisy for her check up at the vets - where she got the all clear (thank goodness) - and popped into Aldi for some groceries.  Whilst there, by the way, I bought some "flowers" and "planted " them when I got home in a shady and dry area. Lazy I know - but it brightens the spot! When the fence gets painted behind them they will stand out a little more.



On the way home I noticed the dreaded sign of "Low Tyre pressure".  I have mentioned this before - you just never know whether its bad or could be left for a while.  However, I am going over to Sheffield tomorrow so didn't want to risk it - so I took the car into my local garage where the nice mechanic (former student) checked the pressures and added air.  According to him there was a slight fall in the rear tyre but nothing to worry about - the rest was okay - grrr!  Then, when I got back home, I received my motor insurance renewal.  Normally I am guilty of just accepting it but I decided to go online to the same company and do a quote - which came in £200 cheaper!  I phoned up, talked it through with a very nice chap who honoured the quote - result!!  But I ask you - why do they make things so difficult for you?

After all the excitement of this morning's activities, this afternoon was rather quieter - walking dogs, quilting some blocks and adding sashing ready to oversew again tonight.  That will be row 5 and the halfway mark.  That sounds as if I am motoring along but the next stage will take longer.  Sadly I didn't buy enough backing fabric for the whole quilt so will use the current one for 5 rows and a complimentary one for 5 rows.  I therefore want to finish (don't forget I still have three bonus blocks to do and one to remake) and quilt the other 50 blocks before laying them all out to see which ones belong on each row.

Lastly may I recommend a programme on Channel 5 tonight - The Great British Benefits Handout.  Last year there was a series of programmes where 3 families, living on benefits, were given £26000 (the figure David Cameron came up with as being the maximum benefits that a family should be on since it equated to the average wage for working people) upfront providing that they signed themselves off benefits.  The purpose of this cash up front, apart from living expenses, was to fund their plan to be solvent again - one set up a  house clearance business and used some of the funds to pay for driving lessons and a van.  One set up a party planning business with bouncy castles etc and exotic pets whilst one lady simply paid for babysitters, clothing and advice so that she could get a job.  In all cases you could see their self esteem go through the roof and, in a world where it seems acceptable to knock people on benefits, it was truly heartening to see people determined to make something of this opportunity.  Tonight sees a new series and I hope that the same outcome happens.

3 comments:

  1. I loved that programme last year and was really pleased to see how well two particular families had done. As for insurance...yes isn't it a pain we have to double check each time and no discount is given for loyalty! I never assume I have been given the cheapest quote and from the comfort of my armchair its so easy to do a little research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes agree it's a pain to have to shop around, I had the same happen with my AA membership recently, as a loyal customer you should be rewarded not charged 3 times the price of a new customer.

    ReplyDelete