Friday 23 December 2016

So - when does Christmas start

There is an obvious answer to that question from a religious point of view but my sister in law to be promoted the question when she asked if it was too early to open the time of sweets.  As a child I recall a long coffee table groaning with Christmas bits - including those orange and lemon slices and eat me dates - which we were not allowed to start until Christmas Day.  We didn't have dog in those days so would watch the goodies growing - desperate to break open the shortbread or pass around the figs. How times have changed.  As we sat down to a mid morning coffee as a break to the housework mum served up a slice of fruit cake!

So, as I said yesterday, today has been a day at home - some hoovering and dusting, icing the Christmas cake, making sure that all presents are wrapped, making a last minute present on mum's behalf etc etc.  Sometimes you just need a day at home to regroup!  I managed to get a few minutes to myself and starting to appliqué the next two Lynette Anderson blocks - fortunately they are going a lot better than the last one! By the way - don't worry about the crooked grass - everything will be trimmed to size later!


I also managed to do some cooking.  Well, I say cooking - it was actually one of these cakes in a mug although this wasn't just any old cake in a mug, it was a M & S cake in a mug - and very nice too!




Meanwhile I am pleased to report that Maisie is on the mend.  I think that she may have pulled a muscle as well but it's not stopped her eating and going for a walk!

1 comment:

  1. Oh those memories of a table laden with goodies bring back memories for me at nans...her trolley laden with the same goodies...and my all time favourites, Fry's Turkish Delights! For some reason its one custom I have neglected ....maybe next year I ought to make it a new tradition! Have bought those cuppa cakes for Teen One...hope she likes them too!

    ReplyDelete