Thursday 3 November 2016

Can mice wear poppies?

Let me start by explaining the title of today's blog.  For the benefit of readers outside the uk, England and Scotland are due to play a qualifying match on armistice day.  In order to show our thanks to our countrymen who fought to keep us safe, we wear a red poppy and this, in turn, raises funds to help those in the armed forces who return injured in some way.  A lot of people also choose to wear a white poppy to signal their hope for peace in the world - a wish that I am sure many people share.  Equally I am sure that different countries signal their support of their armed forces in different ways.  FIFA have refused to allow poppies on the players' shirts - saying that it is a political statement - and the English and Scottish FA's are indicating that they are going to ignore FIFA.  So - why this connection with my mouse family?  Today I came down to a malteser, devoid of chocolate, but taken off the trap without setting it off - it made me imagine that they had been playing a game of football overnight!!  Tonight we are trying the moulded cheese idea that has to be pulled off.  A friend, however, is bringing me some poison and sticky mats on Saturday so their days are numbered. 

This morning, as I indicated yesterday, I was acting as a verger for a wedding.  The gentleman was clearly a family man and, at the age of 83, was clearly loved - the church was full.  However it is a strange feeling attending a funeral of someone you didn't know.  One good thing came out of it though - talking to a sewing friend that I hadn't seen for some time, I found the perfect Christmas present idea - watch out mum!

This afternoon was spent in the craft room - really I should just move into here full time!  I also treated myself to Netflix (you get the first month free anyway).  I would like to see the new TV series - The Crown - about our Queen - since the writer has written a number of things that I have been impressed with - it's just a shame that you can only see it on Netflix.

Tonight is WI - the talk / demonstration is Sugarcraft - and we all have to make something tonight for the competition - help!

2 comments:

  1. I think you meant 'help out at a funeral' not a wedding!!!!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was thinking the same!
    I guess you have tried peanut butter? It cant be removed from the trap quite the same as a piece of chocolate and is a bit sticky too, making it harder for them. Love the idea of them playing footy though!

    ReplyDelete