Sunday 8 November 2015

"Peace in the Valley"

Let's start with the title of the blog first for a change.  As I started to write today's blog a song came onto the radio which the presenter proudly claimed that we had heard it on his show first - It was Peace in the Valley by Jools Holland and Ruby Turner.  That claim may be true - for those artists - but I have a 7 inch single of the same song by Elvis Presley upstairs in a drawer which my father bought me the day that I was born and wrote on it that I was an up and coming teenager.  Since I subsequently proved to  be a poor sleeper as a baby I guess that that was wishful thinking!























So - onto today and, naturally, the day started with the Remembrance Service.  I have to say that the weather is shocking here and the rain was pouring as I got into the car but the sun came out for the service at the war memorial and it was well attended - as these services should be.







When I got home I made a vegetable and ham broth - with additional dried lentils etc to bulk it out.  I find that having a saucepan of this broth in the  fridge is literally a life safer in this weather.  Whilst I was in "Domestic Goddess" mode I also popped some reduced chicken Drumsticks (skin removed of course) into the slow cooker to make a chicken and mushroom casserole for tea.




Naturally there was then crafting to do - Sewingbuddy, it was your present today!  I have also started to make my shopping list for the Knitting and Stitching Show in Harrogate at the end of the month and keep adding to it - we may have to go onto page 2!!  Someone suggested a month of no fabric purchases in January - I am considering it but may not be that brave!


Finally there was some general tidying up and hovering to be done - I have a mad dog who insists on taking potatoes from the sack and leaving half eaten pieces in the lounge - not a pleasant sight to come across!  Talking of the dogs I bought them a new memory foam bed today.  They have been roughing it with old bedding for some time but the removal of the cage makes it look like a load of washing has just been dumped on the floor - not in my new kitchen!


By the way - apologies - the Gail Pan candle mat has not been finished yet.  You've got to leave me something to do tonight as I cry over the last episode of Downton Abbey!  You will see it tomorrow - honest!









5 comments:

  1. Not commented last couple iof days been busy beating.
    How did the weigh in go this week?
    Have you managed to finish the dreaded mystery presents?
    And am intrigued to know what mine is????
    Maybe you could give me some ideas of what to put on my shopping list for harrow gate, had a few thoughts, but a few ideas wouldn't go amiss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remembering you and I were similar babies as far as crying and sleeping goes, when I read your post about your dad buying you the Peace In The Valley single, I had to smile to myself...certainly wasn't much peace in their valley for a while aye!
    Save some tissues for us tonight...its gonna be hard saying goodbye to Downton :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - but there's a Christmas spiral and, so I read today, a film!

      Delete
    2. oops that should have said a Christmas special!

      Delete
  3. So many questions!

    I didn't go to slimming world on Thursday - I came down with a stomach bug so didn't make it to WI either. No I haven't finished the mystery gifts - I need to get yours finished by next Sunday and will need all week! On my shopping list are things like nice threads for my embroidery, looking at the Double Trouble stall - good for my college course - and the stuff needed to make the small purse in the Lynette Anderson book - Wendy and I are booked into a purse making workshop around 2pm so I thought that this could be my first project to complete - only four years and two months left to make everything!!!

    I have ordered a show guide so will bring it on the day ( they come a week before) so that you can have a look on the coach.

    A couple of items on the list I will get from Bee Crafty to save carrying it around all day.

    ReplyDelete