Saturday 3 October 2015

When life throws you lemons .............

Now let's get this straight - I really have nothing to moan about or to feel sorry about - but waking up early (2am this time) is taking its toll!  I have taken the advice of Happymum and Sewing Buddy and have ordered a new mattress - so will try the bed in the spare room tonight.  Its hardly used and people do say what a nice nights sleep they get.  However I believe that there's a rogue spring which suddenly pings in the middle of the night - should be fun!

So, instead of a really active day, today has been one of mozying around the house.  My back has had a heat pad strapped to it for much of the day and so dog walking was out of order.  Instead I took the opportunity to focus on this weekend's sewing goals.  I have sewn the first Christmas ornament and have started the second one - I took a Gail Pan pattern that I have sewn before and reduced it to 75% of its original size.  I can't claim credit for the idea - I saw it on Pinterest.  If all goes to plan then I will make up all three tomorrow.






I also worked on the Christmas present that I referred to yesterday.  Clearly I can't give too many details here - I suspect that the recipient reads this blog - but as you can see from these snippets I am working with small 1 1/2 inch squares and it involves hand sewing.  However the front is now complete so I am on track to finish by tomorrow evening / Monday morning.



Lunch was another homemade soup - a sort of scotch broth which started with me browning some lamb mince.  The recipe did ask for two lamb stock cubes and I only had one so used a vegetable one as well.  I think that next time I would use two to increase the taste of lamb.








The high point of the day, however, came when my mobile burst into life - my glasses were ready for collection!  Yes my eye test was 11:30 on Thursday and the glasses - complete with additional treatments such as anti-glare - were delivered to Tesco today.  Of course I had to pop out and get them - if only because I could then buy a bath sheet for another gift idea.  On Thursday I received news that I was a Great Aunt for the second time - Daniel Nathan, just over 6lbs in weight - a plan is coming together in my head which I will try to start tomorrow and share with you then.

So tonight is sewing the Christmas ornaments and Strictly - oh and hopefully a lot of sleep!









6 comments:

  1. I do hope you sleep better tonight in the spare bed, otherwise you might have bought a new mattress for nothing?
    Sewing bits all look nice, look forward to seeing them finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right but replacing the mattress has been a long overdue task - it folds in half now!

      Delete
  2. Do I detect a name change...again?
    Such good news about another great nephew :) Cant wait to meet him!
    Hope the mattress arrives soon and you get a good nights sleep
    Still love that Joy Hope Peace design as much as ever :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. No name change - just signed in with the wrong account lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bit of good reading,and when life throws you lemons,make lemonade xx

    ReplyDelete