Wednesday 7 October 2015

Mixed Media - I'm wearing a plastic apron so must be an artist!!

As usual, Wednesday morning saw Jean and I at Thrunscoe College for our Creative Textiles course.  Today would be the day when we actually saw fabric and sewing!  The first task was to dye some calico and let it dry - I wet mine first as I thought that it might take the dye better and I like the scrunched up look that you get when ringing the water out.  Since we used our new paints I went for a pallete test effect.  Once this is dry we will cut the 3 inch squares out and try different embroidery stitches to replicate some of the marks that we made on different surfaces in our sketch book.


 
 



But the main event involved synthetic felt and pelmet vilene - we dyed both pieces, ironed them dry, free machine embroidered them and used a soldering iron to burn eyelet holes.  We then ironed bondaweb on and finally ironed some transfer foil onto the top.  I have couched a matching piece of wool and added some French knots.  Truthfully this is now right up my street and I could have continued to work on this piece - however we are supposed to leave it at that, stick it into our sketch book and continue working on the small squares - darn it!  Suffice to say I loved it - right up my street!!









Whilst we were in the class I spotted this lovely pencil case - mmm - cue internet trawling to get one for myself!  I found it here!  I love really unusual things like this.

This afternoon was a little more mundane.  Having had the best nights sleep for a week I now had the energy to tackle the housework - just as well since the sewing group are coming around tonight!  Me thinks its time to light the fire!



1 comment:

  1. Ooo, now I like that pencil case thingy! Really unusual!
    Well done on all the dyeing, looks like you had great fun.
    Good news on the sleep x

    ReplyDelete