Saturday 24 October 2015

Journal quilting

A couple of months ago I read an article about someone who had created a journal quilt - one piece if A4 quilting per week.  This appealed to me although it would be a lot of work and you would need to devote a lot of time to it.  However my star quilt that we are doing a block a month has become, for me, a journal quilt.  Every month has a memory attached and the fabrics selected with that in mind - apart from the early months of the year which I will need to revisit and personalise.  Today I was working on one to commemorate our visit to Leicester and King Richard III's tomb.   In this picture you can just about make out my efforts - its the red and white block at the top.  Tomorrow, when I have appliqued Richard's white rose in the centre I will let you see it in its full glory.


 
 
 
 



Sadly I cannot make next month's (Church Christmas Fayre) but have brought the instructions home - I am going to see Mack and Mabel with Michael Ball in November so am tempted to pursue that idea for a design.  However the one for December speaks to me of a star in Bethlehem so I need to start looking for golden star like fabrics in a midnight blue sky full of stars (can you see why a quilter never has the right fabric?)






When I got home from today's sewing it was straight out with the dogs - the evenings are closing in quickly now aren't they and, from tomorrow, things will only get worse.  At this time of year I also have to contend with the tourist traffic coming to look at the seals - sometimes its so bad that you cannot get out of my road but it is an honour to see the seals giving birth.  Mind you it makes walking the dogs at the beach more difficult!

By the way - I slept wonderfully on the new mattress last night - just in case you were wondering.  Don't forget to put your clocks back tonight - an extra hour in bed - mmmmmmm

3 comments:

  1. Lovely idea to make a journal quilt and looking so good already.
    How exciting to see the seals, even if those pesky tourists do get in the way!
    Good news on the mattress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your block, can't wait to see it finished.
    Glad you liked the new mattress, can take. Bit of getting used to sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your blog I live on the coast in California USA here we change our clocks on November 1 , I can remember when we had the time change before Halloween but now it is after

    ReplyDelete