Wednesday 9 September 2015

I "heart" Tamworth Services

On the grounds that my day, so far, has consisted of a 300 mile drive from Devon to North Lincolnshire I wanted to spend some time praising my favourite service station.

 
Now I know that somewhere there will be a poll of service stations and seem to recall that one in Cumbria often comes out on top - but I want to speak up for Tamworth Services.  Located on the M42 the services are small and functional - toilets, Smith's Costa, Greggs, M & S Simply Food and a sit down eating area - certainly not the shopping mall type that seem to be opening these days.  However , for the past 24 years or so I have driven a number of ways from home to Devon and back - and have tried a number of different services - but Tamworth gets my vote every time for their quality of service and friendliness of staff.  In fact as I drove today, thinking about this blog, I stopped at the services and spoke to  a couple from North Yorkshire who felt exactly the same and always made sure that they stopped there.

Now I know that some of you may be saying - but the services are dirty (Tamworth is not) and expensive - and that is true - a Costa coffee costs more at a service station than in a high street shop.  However as an AA member I get a 20% discount at any MOTO services (which Tamworth is) and so the cost of the coffee is reduced to normal price (as it was mine was free today because I had collected enough points).  In addition I also get 20% off my M &S simply food purchases - who could be happier when they have a discount on their iced spiced bun and bag of Percy Pigs?

So - my question to you today is - where is your favourite service station and would you choose that route just to stop there?  I would for Tamworth!

3 comments:

  1. Go you!! I suppose a journey of that distance needs something to look forward to.
    You deserve the coffee and iced bun, and we were pleased to hear that you had arrived home safely. You younger 'bruv' has just left for his journey back to Sussex not as long as your journey but long enough. Sadly he doesn't have a Tamworth' on his travels so he has gone off armed with ham and cheese sandwiches and the remains of his bread pudding he brought down!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to say now that your brother is a 'Thespian'. With a part in the local Am Dram society he is as I write honing his acting skills!! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are safely back home.
    We use such a variety of service stations, and most of them blend into one in my mind...I will have to pay particular attention in future and take notes!

    ReplyDelete