Saturday 5 September 2015

Challenges galore

Firstly Dadwatch - he didn't have a good night last sleep -sleeping on his back is not coming naturally!  So - after a later than usual rise - Mum and Dad decided to head off to Dunelm for a coffee.  Of course I just had to go with them!  Apart from the coffee and ( ahem) cake, I wanted to buy a bath towel for the kitchen.  Yep - I said the kitchen - if you google fridge towels then you will see where my mind is heading.

Then it was onto the competition challenge - I entered another 14 today making it 42 in a week - not as good as Phil's friend but not shabby either.  Bound to win one ...........!  Another challenge, as iI mentioned yesterday, was making vegetable jam.  The carrots and courgettes had both soaked overnight and produced a ton of water each.  Fortunately I bought a jam maker many years ago, which lives down here with mum, so the making did not involve hours standing over a hot stove, but it was fascinating watching vegetables turn into jam.  The courgette and lemon jam could, in my opinion, do with more lemon but would pass for lemon and lime marmalade. However the carrot jam was a revelation - it truly did taste like apricot jam.  Your eyes see grated carrot but your taste buds say differently - strange!  Some family members will get to try them for christmas - funnily enough I don't eat jam due to the big sugar content - but I have put a small amount of each in jars to bring home - watch out the sewing group!  Surprisingly enough I also read about someone making a sugar free carrot jam version using Splenda - so that's my next experiment!  A zero calorie jam !

Seewing wise time has been limited but Strictly starts again tonight so it is law to sit and stitch during the programme!  The plan is to finish the Santa Redwork that I started yesterday so that I can make the cushion tomorrow.  Time will tell I'm sure!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm to the jam....am hoping you made it in blue jars as I cant see it fitting into a cracker!
    Glad to hear the coffee expedition are continuing even if the nights are not so good. A new sleeping arrangement is never good, but hopefully just temporary. Maybe sleeping a chair ( recliner?) might be better for a bit?

    ReplyDelete