Monday 3 August 2015

Waiting for a hospital bed

Another chore day started with a nice surprise - a Patchwork programme on create and craft at 8am. Cue breakfast in front of the tv along with some more of ..... yep you've guessed it - hand sewing!  I will be glad when this particular project is finished although its always nice to have something to create in front of the tv.

Then it was time for the Monday clean and tidy.  The chimney sweep came today to clear the chimney ahead of winter / decoration of room so wanted to tidy up for him (what's that all about??).  In-between the cleaning tasks I assaulted Millie with the grooming brush.  You wouldn't think that, for a short haired dog, she could lose so much hair - but she does (fortunately not throughout the year though!).  I also made time to phone the oil company to pay for the oil that I've ordered.  I belong to a village group scheme and they source the cheapest oil.  I remember a time when I was paying 57p a litre but its now just over 30p - so I am filling the tank up!  Later on this week I plan to order some coal at the summer prices - bring on the winter - this pensioner is sorted!!!!

Next on the agenda was to revisit the apron.  An insert here, a change in neckline there and I now have an apron (well an old sheet version) that fits!!  I now need to convert this to a pattern for keeps and then start on the actual project.  However I am feeling quite proud of myself (yes I know - pride goes before a fall!)


before
after
After lunch there was another sewing programme (cue more hand sewing) and it was time to test the new Annie Sloan paint that I bought last week by painting a small sewing table that I "rescued" from my parents many years ago.  They had been given it and I spent many an hour stripping, sanding and staining but now its coming in for the paint treatment.  If it is a colour that I like (a decision will be made tomorrow when it has dried properly) then the plan is to paint the tv cupboard, the fireplace, the hall cupboard and the stairs in the same colour!!  As it is the colour seems remarkably like the sage green - albeit several shades lighter - tomorrow I shall put it next to the dresser so that we can see the difference.








Conservatory update


Here are today's photos and Phil will be pleased - there are some additions to the room due to the removal of items from the lounge prior to the decoration.















So - apart from a dog walk, talking to my mum to wish her and dad all the best for his operation (he hasn't got a bed yet and could be operated on tomorrow afternoon !!! and  is expected to be in hospital for around a week so she is staying nearby), having a gossip with an old friend that I met in the village when I popped out to get the cash for the chimney sweep, pruning a fuchsia bush, getting a quote from webuyanycar.com for my current car so that I am armed with some info when I got to buy a new car tomorrow and wiping down more kitchen cupboards - that's my day.  I guess its understandable why I can't settle and focus!

Minions


The minion quotes seem to have taken on a life of their own so I will try and find one to suit every day of this week.  So here are today's offering.

3 comments:

  1. I had thought your dresser was painted grey....is it sage green? Maybe you should approach Annie Sloan for some advertising payment!
    Well done on cracking the apron pattern.
    Very impressed with the organisation for winter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's officially duck egg blue but it's actually a sage green colour - I'm told that Annie slogans son argues that it's green as well. In terms o advertising I can see how I might fill the ten paint tins loyalty card!!!

      Delete
  2. I find myself agreeing with the minion!

    ReplyDelete