Wednesday 5 August 2015

Today I grew up - well just a little!

Firstly may I say thank you for all the best wishes towards my father.  I spoke with him this morning and he is in good spirits - I think that we are more annoyed than he is.  So the current update is that despite being 20 weeks since being diagnosed (the limit is 18 weeks) and despite being cancelled twice (they should only be cancelled once and then you should be guaranteed - apparently) he has now been given a new date and time.  Tomorrow?  The day after?  No - Wednesday 26th august - what!!!!!  Ah but he's first on the list so LESS likely to be bumped!! Suffice it to say that a complaint has been placed with the PALS organisation who are looking into it.

So - onto today.  I claim to have grown up - just a little.  Yesterday the car turned out to be around £2000 less than I was planning to pay for it.  What's a girl to do?  Should she go out and blow it as extra spends?  No - I paid off some of the mortgage.  More importantly in August 1991 I took out a mortgage to buy this house and today I paid it off - in full!!!!!  Realistically there is a second mortgage on the house that I took out about 10 years ago to build the conservatory etc but its a good feeling to get rid of one of them!!

However I will admit to spending some money today.  Apart from a general Tesco shop I also popped into my local fireplace shop.  They put my coal fire in around 10 years ago or so and it is looking somewhat yuk!  Now I know that fire places get grubby but the surround is tarnished and replaceable, the ash can is rusting and the front looks yuk.  Even the granite needs a long clean and polish.  If I didn't do anything then it will stand out against the newly painted walls and new carpet - so I treated myself.









Yesterday I mentioned a visit to a fabric shop and thought that you might be interested to see what I bought.  Yes I know that its seems silly to mention the C word but there's only 141 days left!  Fabric wise I loved this blue combination that Wendy spotted and I have no idea what to use this adorable fabric for but it just had to make a leap into my bag!





Jobwise I have started the great Kitchen clear out (look at the dust on this clock - yuk!).  I have left this room until last for obvious reasons but its hard going.  I also have not been strictly honest with you - not only are the decorators coming in next week but I am going on holiday (don't worry - I have a house sitter lined up to look after the house!) so have started to think about packing etc.  My pile of ironing could have rivalled Happymum's but at least I have got to the bottom of it!  Right now I am thinking that its pure madness to empty and clean 3 rooms (its carpet lifting in the hall tomorrow - what fun - what dust) whilst getting ready to go away - but it will be lovely to come back to the finished product!





So - now its time to get tea sorted before going out to "Sit and Sew".  After all we've got to be back for The Great British Bake Off don't we?  Take care x



And today's minion quote................


 My kind of exercise!





2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a great cash boost! As you say, what a grown up thing to do!
    Love the clock, be even better clean ;)
    Don't know what you mean about my ironing pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sensible at last!!! Well done.
    Like you really looking forward to the Bake Off tonight. It seems ages since it was on.
    You will need your holiday, at the rate you are working. It is going to be so lovely when it is all finished. Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete