Tuesday 11 August 2015

Day 2 and it's off to Lake Garda and the opera

After a sleepless night ( the air con was on but it was around 25 degrees) we awoke early and decided on a chilled out trip to Lake Garda.  I had been before and we all fancied a lazy day.  Unfortunately we weren't organised enough to realise that the trains stopped between 10 and noon - throw in a full train and you will see why we did not arrive until gone 1pm.   Whilst we waited in reception I managed to do some English paper piecing - so all was not lost!

Walking the long distance down to the ferry the heat climbed beyond all realms of reason -  the highest temp was supposed to be 36 degrees and I felt every one! We had planned a short ferry trip to sirimone  - on our arrival we were greeted with the largest ice creams you have ever eaten - I had a salted cream one - mmmmmm

By now I must confess that I was beginning to feel the heat so found some shade and curled up with a good book and a diet coke whilst Julia and Trisha went shopping!

The next ferry was to Peschiera so that we could catch the train home - what a performance!  With five minutes to go none of the automatic machines worked and there was still a queue at the ticket office.  At the last minute I managed to get the machine working and we moved swiftly to The platform where I felt distinctly sick and would - I am guessing that I was dehydrated and we had only eaten the ice cream since breakfast.  Need to learn a lesson here!

When we got back to the hotel, and after changing and cooling down, we had a snack for tea - pizza.  Yes folks you heard it first I ate pizza!  So as I write this blog we are getting ready to go and see Aida.  I am not an opera buff and it would not take much for me to say let's not bother - but I am assured that it will be a spectacle.  I have even learnt the story!

4 comments:

  1. Oh poor you!! You seem to be suffering for your pleasures. BUT. Just remember all the work that is being done back home, I suspect you would be more exhausted if you were doing the work at home. Just remember drink, drink, drink and more drink. Water is best ( as long as it is safe). Enjoy the rest of the week.xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure you are feeling ok - pizza - really????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heat and me do not go together and I am guessing its another family trait! We bought loads of bottled water in the supermarkets over there, very cheap indeed, I even learnt to like fizzy water over there.
    Peschieria is right where we were in April! I thought it was a lovely little town. Our caravan park was about 10 mins walk around the lake from there. We had a very nice gelato in the square there.
    Make sure you have a hat and suncream when you are walking around out there, as well as the water! I know its old fashioned, but you will get ill otherwise...the mother in me has spoken!
    Hope you enjoy Aida...think I prefer the sewing sort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never had salted ice cream, it sounds scrum my.
    Hope you are pleasantly surprised and enjoy the opera.

    ReplyDelete