Sunday 23 August 2015

A senior moment?

Let me take you back to yesterday.  After my disaster with a coke can I settled down to enjoy Jean's chilli. I am visiting family later this week and am planning a sewing retreat (well - technically Dad is having his rearranged surgery so I am going down to visit / help out / look after the dog - but what's a girl to do in-between?) so intended to spend some time last night cutting out fabric and gathering supplies for the Christmas projects that I would take with me.  Cue the phone:-

"Hi Lynda, Its Chris here - should you be somewhere?"

"Err - no - why?"

"Its 6:55pm and you are on hospitality duty - you should have been here at 6:45pm"

Image result for louth playgoersOops - once a month I volunteer to sell ice-creams and sweets at the local theatre and clearly last night I should have been there - it was on my phone but I had completely forgotten about it!  Suffice it to say that I had to quickly get ready and go out.  In itself that would not have been too bad but they have a "uniform" for their volunteers and want a particular colour scheme - suffice to say my top was in the washing - the washing had finished but it was still wet!! Cue the iron to try and dry it off!  It can only happen to me.



Image result for grimoldby churchThis morning I fared much better.  After cutting out some of the supplies whilst watching my 8am sewing programme, I headed off to church - not my church but one which was having a confirmation service for the area.  Whilst several of my congregation were being confirmed I had also been invited to go by the gardeners wife - Janet.  Janet didn't tell him that I was invited and when he saw me he came over , gave me a hug and told me that he was so touched I was there that he had tears in his eyes. Ian is not your usual C of E member and he suffers from anxieties in a crowd - he clearly did not look comfortable in the long service but I was moved that support from others meant so much to him.  Unbeknown to him nearly half of his usual congregation turned out for him - but they came in near to the start of the service so he would not have seen them until the end.

This afternoon it was more mundane activities - such as mowing the lawn before the rain comes as forecast, tidying some more of the bedroom and putting kitchen items back in place - before settling down and sorting out some more sewing supplies.  I always find that I take down too much to do but I would really kick myself if I finished everything and was twiddling my thumbs.  My aim is to make and complete presents for 5 people (plus a couple of spare projects just in case) - wish me luck!  Whilst I was moving things back into the kitchen I cleaned up my favourite clock, put a new battery in and hang it up - nothing - nada - so I tried a second battery - nothing again!  When I get back I will try to see if I can take it apart and put a new movement in - how hard can that be?

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear , fancy forgetting you had to be at the theatre- not like you!

    Obviously this very busy retirement is taking its toll on you.

    Hope all goes as planned for your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear not your day yesterday was it!! Pleased the confirmation service went well. As for the clock - well I hesitate to say this but are you sure you have batteries in the right way!!!! I know I know, just saying.!!
    Don't worry about not having enough to do when on your trip. I have loads of things you could do here. There is a whole craft room you could sort out, that will take you a week, and if you really want to keep sewing I have quite a lot of Christmas fabric that I'm not sure what to do with, you could make something for me!! Xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee mum - there are times when your kindness just flabbergasts me! Do you mean that craft room I tidy every time I come down? Surely not ! And what kind of Christmas items do you want ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for acknowledging my kindness!! You never know there could be some real sewing treasures in there!!
    As far as Christmas items are concerned, well how about some bunting or simple decorations for the bannister going up the stairs? Just saying, we could discuss it when Dad and I get home.!! No pressure.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete