Monday 20 July 2015

Housework: pain or pleasure?

For some people, the title of today's blog may be a challenging one but it's one that has got me thinking.  Now I don't know what got into me yesterday but today found me standing in the utility room, about to put something into the rubbish bin and standing there with a huge grin on my face.  That stupid grin then continued as I wandered into the conservatory and I began to ponder - since when did I start to get such a thrill from seeing order and neatness in the house?  More importantly - how long will the satisfaction continue and will I be able to do the housework needed to achieve this order on a long term basis?  Clearly the answer to the second question will come over time but I am enjoying (gosh this sounds like the X factor) the "journey"!  I also came across this article - which provided the title for today's blog.  It would appear that I am not alone.

So - onto today's activities.  It started with a hoover around - "Flylady" would call it a home blessing hour.  Sadly, however, the brushes of the hoover were blocked so I sat and uncleared them - there was so much dog hair (mainly Katie's it has to be said).  I also cleaned the kitchen window (inside and out) using this foam spray from Betterware.  I cannot tell you how dirty the window was yet a spray and wipe solved the problem - marvellous (yes mother - you do know best!!).



 Then it was a quick trip into Louth to look for carpets for the hall and the lounge.  Thinking ahead to the durability and the cleanliness (see - it's affecting me already) I opted for an oak laminate floor in the hallway which will require a sweep and a damp mop.  I am fed up of buying stain resistant carpets that then stain!  In the lounge I opted for a dark cream flecked carpet which will then have a nice rug on top.  Both will be fitted the week beginning 17th August - not long to wait then!  Is this the time to admit that I have a decorator coming in the week before to paint the hall, the kitchen and the lounge - or have I admitted this before?























After lunch it was time to turn my hand to some ironing (see what non-flooding drains do to a girl - it makes you wash!) before cutting out some fabric for a WI sewing evening.  The evening is not until the 20th August but I have a host of commitments before then so want to get organised.  We are going to look at some redwork and am focussing on a 12 days of Christmas pattern from Mandy Shaw.  Hopefully this collaborative piece of bunting can then be raffled or donated to a hospice.  That reminds me - I have sewn mine but have not made it up yet - tut tut!  UFO's - the story of my life!





Whilst I was cutting fabric I turned my attention to cutting some fabric for a Christmas present.  Clearly I cannot say what it is or who it is for but I love this fabric so must use it!  I don't quite have enough green or orange fabric so am using both and introducing a striped effect - ish!










After walking the dogs and tea, it was then time to finish the Mandy Shaw block of the month that I started yesterday.  I also spent some time looking through my tea towel stash - my "sewing buddy" is bringing her granddaughters to sewing on Sunday and we thought that they may like to make a tea towel bag.



Reflecting on today there has been a lot of "non work" items - it is relaxing to have your house in order and gives you a piece of mind.  I guess that's what I am trying to say.

Lastly -  a little gift from a friend.  Strangely enough I was watching a Colin Firth film this afternoon where he tries to uncover a spiritualist.  Kind of similar!

 
 
 
And - its Monday so its time to play guess the difference.  This time the differences are subtle so not so easy to find:-
 

 
But - hey - the conservatory is still tidy - go me!!
 
 


7 comments:

  1. Go you indeed! Will have a shot at the game later, if someone else hasn't already guessed it.
    Love that woodland fabric :)
    Sounds like you have had a lot of lovely sewing today, such a pleasure to choose what you want to do with the day isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure you didn't just take loads of photos when you first tidied the conservatory - can't believe you have kept it clean for so long! In answer to your question - pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how you doubt my dedication to the cause. Tut tut!! Put me to the test and drop in!! I will be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, my guess is...no white piece of paper ( or whatever it is) on the little table?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another interesting day. Love the new carpet, just slightly anxious about the colour and two dogs, but hey ho!! I think you have made the right choice with regards to the hall, as a rule I'm not a fan of laminate flooring but I think will be good there.
    Conservatory - well difficult this week, I think it the cushions on the settee, and maybe something extra on the dresser? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will have to buy a ticket to get in your place soon!
    Going to look very nice painted and carpets - and tidy!
    like your carpet choice and the Oak flooring is lovely and as you say very easily manageable .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will be interested to hear how you get on with the laminate....I am thinking of that for the kitchen floor. Don't want tiles as they are too unforgiving when anything is dropped, lino tears too easily when things like the dishwasher have to be moved out and having had carpet once many years ago...never again! So a good laminate is what we are thinking of now, will also fit in with the new white/bare wood theme.

    ReplyDelete