Saturday 18 July 2015

Fifty shades of ................................sewing

Terry's sketch book cover
My blocks - half finished
After another sleepless night it was time to head off to West Ashby for our monthly dose of sewing with Jenny.  We are an eclectic bunch of ladies - there's Jean and Ev who have been friends for over thirty years, Terry (who, incidentally complained that the blog wasn't spicy enough - hence today's title.  However, unless you count sage, rosemary and thyme, she will have a long wait until I live a spicy life!!) Anyway Terry, who rarely does what she is told and completes her own project - which is usually fabulous but totally mistrusting of her own undoubted skills, Heather who is quiet but works steadily, Jenny (bag lady - called so because there are two Jenny's and this one has the most beautiful work bag) and Lyn who may be a relative newbie to sewing but produces amazing work.  Somehow our different personalities and skills match and we encourage and motivate each other to improve.





The start of the purple collection
It was Lyn who challenged me to make something for her forthcoming Macmillan charity tombola - hence the trinket tray and fabric basket.  This week's challenge is to collate everything purple that I see.  As you can tell from the picture I have made a start by collaging the scraps  of fabric that my friends gave me today.  As I look around the house it is amazing how many purple items that I have already!





So - onto this evening.  I am planning an evening of hand sewing - completing last months' Mandy Shaw Block.  Its a lovely picture depicting cake Friday - guess what the subject is!!

Finally, and since they might read this, I will not give names or details.  If this blog is to be an honest one I must say a few words about two friends who seem to have fallen out with each other.  I have no idea what is behind the disagreement but I do see two people really hurting and hope that they are able to talk the issues through and arrive at some form of reconciliation.  Life is too short and good friends too few to let disagreements fester.  I really hope that this can be resolved.



5 comments:

  1. More sewing!!! You will soon have to have an extension built to house all your sewing projects!! They all look so beautiful, well done everyone.
    How I agree with your last comments. Good friends should stay together, it is easy to fall out over some thing trivial and much harder to make up. However nothing is worth falling out over.!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your blog today Lynda, all very true about us all being completely different but strangely getting along so well!

    I hope the others feel the same way, and it's not just us?

    And I totally agree with your comment on friendship life is far to short to be miserable and unhappy through a falling out!
    Let's hope it is resolved very soon?

    Looking forward to our next meeting.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wise old Sage you are...well less of the old of course!
    Making the first move is always the hardest, since generally we all feel "it wasn't our fault" and so the first move should come from the one who caused the offence! We have all been in that situation I am sure, no matter what age we are, we still feel the wounds keenly, but you are right, a good friendship is worth keeping, so you know who you are..be brave and make that first move, even if it wasn't your fault.
    Loving all the sewing :)

    ReplyDelete