Saturday 25 July 2015

Bruges - not sure that they were ready for us!

So - lets start with the apologies.  I have not written a post for several days because I have been away with old colleagues on a retirement trip to Bruges.  Truthfully (and I am completely sober!) the desk is still moving as I write this - we travelled both ways on a ferry and I am still experiencing motion sickness!

So - back to Thursday.  School had finished at 1pm and my lift arrived promptly at just after 1pm.  the arrangement was to meet up at the local pub with some staff who were not going on the trip meeting up just to say goodbye.  Although a number of staff left on Thursday the trip was to celebrate the retirement of Di Dykes - my deputy head.  She has worked at school for around 26 years and is part of the foundations of the school.  Suffice it to say an amount of drinks - both alcoholic and non alcoholic - were drunk before the minibus arrived to take us to the ferry.  A situation that was (ahem) enhanced by the introduction of "Jager bombs" which some chose to "down" every time a new passenger was picked up.  I have never tasted the drink - nor do I want to - but the bus was somewhat merry when it arrived at the port (don't worry the driver wasn't on the trip and therefore not drinking).  So "merry" were some of the passengers that the group was mistaken for a hen party and they were subjected to a talk about the way to behave in front of young children!

That really set the scene for the rest of the evening.  There were 18 in the group and at least half of them have had a tough time this year.  I am sure that the term "work hard, play hard" was created for such a situation.  When they crowded onto the dance floor and sang along with the live band - it was time for me to head off to bed.  Judging by the sights the next morning it was a sensible decision!



After a (ahem) quiet breakfast it was time to catch the coach to Bruges.  There we were  able to stroll the historic streets (every other shop really is a chocolate shop!), enjoy a quiet meal and then meet up for a gentle boat ride in the sunshine together.  It was raining for most of the day so the late appearance of sunshine was appreciated.  The day took its toll on the old steps - I racked up over 16000 steps on Friday!





Towards the end of the day we met up in the park for an impromptu picnic using food that we had bought from local shops and (ahem) some alcohol that had also been bought.  However that was really the last of the drinking with many choosing soft drinks, coffee and tea for the rest of the evening.

Myself -I was feeling poorly from the hot coach on the way back to the ferry so installed myself with a cup of coffee on the outside deck watching the loading of the lorries before settling myself quietly into the quiet lounge where a group of us played card games.  I have never been one for a raucous life but the noise was just a little too much for me!!

So - onto today.  We were home by around 11:30 where, I am afraid, I fell asleep almost immediately.  I never sleep well in a strange bed but the noise and movement of the boat (it was a little rough last night) put paid to a decent nights sleep.  It was then time to watch "Singing in the Rain" whilst having lunch before doing some preparatory work for the sewing class tomorrow.  Nothing major / exciting but I couldn't fetch the dogs until after 4pm and the house just doesn't feel right without them!!

By the way - when my ex colleagues saw the purple hair they all got it - they correctly identified the need to rebel!! Mission accomplished.



 
Post note - I received news today that my application for my pension has been completed - from 4th August 2015 I will be in receipt of a pension - ooh er!!  Let the budgeting begin!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good trip, wish I was there!
    And hope you've recoveredX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a nice time, I forgot you said you'd be away. Wondered when your blog went quiet.

    ReplyDelete