Wednesday 3 June 2015

One room down - well almost you understand!

So - at last - the conservatory is painted and I've managed to wash the brushes out and put away ready for the next project.  I even learnt that lining the paint tray with foil saves on the washing up - who knew?  (Clearly my brother Graham did since he gave me the tip!)  The next step is to clean everything - the windows, the frames, the plastic covers and the floor.  Oh the floor - the tiles can be swept, hovered and washed - but until they are scrubbed they will never come back to life.  So - that's the next job to do!  Tomorrow I am popping into Dunelm - the staff gave me a generous gift card to use there - and am hoping that I will find some throws for the sofas and some rugs for the floor.  On Friday I am popping into Louth to buy some chalk paint - and then the transformation really starts to happen when I paint the dresser.  Its a good job that I've allocated a few weeks for this project!  I haven't even started to talk about the sewing projects that I have in mind for this room!

The first roofer came yesterday re-repairing the flat roof over the utility room.  It would appear that I need a completely new roof and he has quoted £400 which seems reasonable.  I have two more coming today so will know more then.

This afternoon I focussed on trying to clear my desk - seriously I couldn't find a thing - and popped out for petrol.  Even though I lived close to work I cannot believe how little petrol I am using.  However the gauge is now saying that I only have enough for 70  more miles which is getting a bit close for my liking.

Finally tonight sees the weekly "Sit and Sew".  We used to meet at school but have now decided to go to each other's houses.  Tonight's its Jean's and we are celebrating Ev's 76th birthday.  Not sure how much sewing will go on!











Now - lets end on a riddle - when is a teacher not a teacher?  NEVER!  I was minding my own business on Facebook when a student, who should have been at school, popped up.  This is the ensuing conversation!  What a smooth talker!


6 comments:

  1. Ooo I love the tip about the foil...why didn't I think of it before! I do it with roasting pans etc! Is the chalk paint for the dresser? I want to paint my dresser, having seen lots done half and half (the top left wood and the handles and sometimes the shelves) and love the look. I bought a sample of Farrow and Ball as that is what most people seem to use, but to be honest it didn't look any different on the sample patch I did than the Dulux paint we used for the walls! Any tips gratefully received :)
    Am sure the dogs will love the new throws! Every time I get a new one the cats decide its the most perfect spot in the house and within days its covered in hair :(
    The quote sounds good....our church back hall has a flat roof and whilst its fair to say its bigger than a utility area....with quotes coming in at circa £4000 I don't think its THAT much bigger!
    Cant quite see the FB conversation.....sounds cools though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could be wrong but I think that the make is Annie Sloan. According to a friend who used it there's no preparation - just slap it on. "Chalk Paint® sticks to just about any surface... wood, concrete, metal, matt plastic, earthenware and much more, inside and outside the home. It dries fast too so you can add second or third coats quickly, and start enjoying your revitalised walls, floors and furniture sooner. Gorgeous results have never been so simple and straightforward." Well - that's what they say so lets see!

      In terms of the Facebook conversation Ben was saying that without me he was learning nothing so was better off working at home - needless to say I put him straight!

      Delete
  2. Annie Sloan is the other make I have heard lots about for painting dressers, so will be interested to hear/see how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will let you know - but am out and about all weekend so will not be able to start much before Monday.

      Delete
  3. What a busy day!! Conservatory looking good. Did you find the rug?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thanks - will investigate tomorrow and get back to you.

      Delete